Dr. Murtuza Railwaywala
Received Rashtriya Gaurav Award for outstanding performance and remarkable role in Personality development concept with adventure activities, psychological method and drama (theatre) techniques with qualification and expertness. The concept has been first time launch in India.
Area of Expertise
- Psychologist: Study, diagnosis, analysis and understanding human behavior and interpersonal relationship.
- Adventure: Qualified mountaineering instructor and organizer of personality development program with adventure, psychological and theatre activities. Practicing adventure therapy in required programs / workshops.
- Theatre (Drama): Theatre graduate. Drama (play) director and actor. Conductor and faculty of drama workshops / programs. Conceptualizing of theatre / drama as medium of learning, for change and as therapy.
- B.A. (Psychology)
- M.A. (Clinical Psychology)
- D.N. (Naturopathy)
- Professional certificate course in mental health assessment (PCCMHA)
- B.P.A (Bachelor in Performing Arts (Dramatic)
- M.A.P.A (performing arts – drama)
- Certificate in Creative Movement Therapy (CMT)
- B.M.C (Basic Mountaineering Course)
- A.M.C (Advance Mountaineering Course)
- M.O.I (Method of Instruction in Mountaineering)
- B.S.C (Basic Ski Course)
- Liaison Officer Course. (Training for foreign mountaineering expeditions)
- I.S.C (Intermediate Ski Course)
- Practicing as Psychologist at my own centre “SPARSH” “A Self enrichment & Research Centre” from September 2006 (area of interest & expertise in psycho diagnostic & assessment, individual counseling & guidance, personality development) (SPARSH has conducted number of projects which is mention ahead) and also working as trainer in psychological assessments.
- Visiting Psychologist at “SOCH” mental hospital and rehab centre for diagnosis, assessments and therapy from June 2016 and till date.
- Visiting psychologist at ‘Disha’ child clinic for psychological assessment, ‘Pain Management Centre’ for counseling, “Psy-Lens” clinic and The Holistica centre for children theatre and adventure activities. Also visiting at various schools for assessment, counseling and tutoring.
- Worked as Assistant Clinical Psychologist at Surat Neuro- Psychiatric Diagnostic Centre (SNPDC) from July 2005 to August 2006.
- Worked as Assistant Psychologist under Mrs. Sudipta Roy, a well-known Clinical Psychologist in Surat as part time from July 2001 to June 2005
- Also been an active as mountaineering instructor and (drama) play director.
- Visiting lecturer & course designer for psychology in “Sarvajanik College of Performing Arts” Surat.
- Visiting lecturer at P.T. Mahila college (S.N.D.T university) for certificate course in counseling & had also design the course, PG diploma in L.D management and B.A (psychology) in Surat.
- Visiting faculty at Spectramind education for P.G. Diploma (private) course in counseling from September 2014 till date.
- Teacher training program: - conducted training program for school teachers for understanding children and their issues. Training focusing on identification of children problem during teaching learning process. Behavioral issues of children at different age. Learning of cognitive, adaptive and developmental functioning. Art of parenting and therapeutic skills in educational psychology.
- Tapti valley international school, M.U.S school and Madresah Taiyebiyah English School teachers were trained during training sessions. April, May, June & July 2016.
- Visiting Psychologist at M.U.S school and Madresah Taiyebiyah English School for student assessments and counseling and development of recourse room.
- Camp Director & organizer of adventure & personality development camps. (‘SPARSH’ Personality Development Camp – Manali, Himalayas and Saputara year – 2002, 2003, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2011, 2013, 2014 & 2015).
- Worked as a Programme Director and Mountaineering Instructor at an adventure company named Adventure crazee Pvt. Ltd, based in Mumbai from Nov 2001 March 2002.
- Worked as Karate Instructor at St. Xavier’s high school for one year 1999.
- Personality test, IQ test and Individual Psychological Counseling of 100 students were conducted at M.T.B. Arts College in the year 2000.
- 24 hours telephonic psychological counseling helpline for 10th & 12th standard board students was conducted during board examination in the year 2001.
- Special personality development camps were conducted for mentally challenged children in the year 2001 & 2002.
- Aptitude test, Interest Test, Personality Test and Individual Psychological Counseling were done at Birla Cellulosic-Kharach in the year 2001, 2002, 2003 & 2004.
- ‘SPARSH Psycho – Homeopathy workshop’ was organized for homeopathic practitioner doctors and students for better understanding the concept, theories and combination of psychology and homeopathy at Maskati Medical Centre on (1) 20th April to 20th May 2009 & (2) 9th Nov to 4th Dec 2009. (3) 6th Sep to 4th Oct 2010.
- Two days workshop on “Primary Care in Mental Health” was organized for homeopathic practitioner doctors and students in association with B.J medical college and civil hospital at Maskati Medical Centre on 12th &13th Dec 2009.
Dramatics & Adventure
- SPARSH (team) is regularly participating in National, State and District level Drama (play) competition from 2005 till date. Winner of 5 awards including best drama, best director, best script, best actor (male) and best actor (female) at S.M.C drama competition 2008 for “Bhaas Abhaas” gujarati drama.
- Sparsh has produced and Directed (by me) a Hindi Drama “Ek Baat Ankahi”. Concept of the Play was on Learning Disability.
- Sparsh has been awarded for the Best Concept for Drama “Ek baat Ankahi” in Surat Municipal Corporation. Concept award was specially been introduced for this play in last 38 years of competition.
- Sparsh Has Performed “Ek Baat Ankahi” at National School Of Drama, in their festival Jashne-Bachppan at New Delhi (international festival) on 13th of October 2010.
- Personality Development camp, which includes adventure activities and psychological methods, (psycho – adventure concept) was conducted for students at Manali, Himalayas and Saputara hill, Dang in year – 2002, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015).
- Sparsh has performed “Nind Kyu Raat Bhar nahi aati…” a Hindi play on Suicide prevention at New civil hospital, Akhil hind mahila parisad and sahitya samgam, Surat on occasion of “world suicide prevention day” Sept 2011
- Sparsh and Surat Civil hospital, Mental illness department performed one act Gujarati play on Alcohol addiction at Ahawa Dang on 9th Feb 2012 and develop short film in Hindi and Gujarati
- Working as T.I.E & D.I.E faculty (Theatre – in – Education & Drama – in – Education) along with Dr. Vijay Sevak (professor – B.Ed College). T.I.E project focus on school children to developed their SELF with aspects of theatre techniques. It is a six year research project and we are in third year.
- Sparsh has Performed two plays “Zindagi” and “Ristee” at L & T complex on occasion of World Women Day (June 2013). Both play theme was women issue and play was followed by a talk on understanding Menarche, menopause and depression in women. Talk was lead by Mrs Sudipta Roy (clinical psychologist) and Dr. Murtuza.
- Sparsh has performed “Ajab Bachho ki Gajab Kahani” (Hindi play on L.D. children) at Gandhi smruti on 12th of January 2014 and 23rd February 2014 . Play was organized by Reliance industry and play was followed by a talk on understanding and handling learning disability children by Dr. Murtuza and Mrs. Sudipta Roy.
- Sparsh Has Performed “Ajab Bachho ki Gajab Kahani” (Hindi play on L.D. children) at 3rd National children theatre festival at Guwahati (Assam) on 20th of January 2014. Another show of same play was held at Bharuch organized by Osmosis centre for special education & G.N.F.C on 3rd January 2015.
- Sparsh has conducted workshop on “concept of self & Perception” with theatre techniques and psychological activities for student of 10th and 12th of Umrigar school. Workshop held on 17th April 2014 for 12 days.
- Sparsh has conducted adventure and drama workshop in summer camp for Shanti Asiatic School on 11th May 2014 for 8 days. Workshop includes Adventure activities (Rappelling and Zipline (Flying fox)) and drama activities (voice and speech, body language, gesture, posture and movement).
- Sparsh Has Performed “Manomanch” (Hindi play on interpersonal relationship and Bipolar disorder) at Sanjeev Kumar Auditorium, Surat on 18th September 2014 in 42nd SMC drama competition. Won best male and best female award.
- Sparsh Has Performed “Bas Itnasa Khwab” (Hindi play on interpersonal relationship and Hallucination disorder) at Sanjeev Kumar Auditorium, Surat on 9th October 2015 in 43rd SMC drama competition. Won six awards including best play third position, best child actor, best male actor, best female actor, best scene composition and best backstage award by Sanjeevkumar foundation awards.
- Above mention drama (play) “Bhas Abhas”, Ek Baat Ankahi”, Nind Kyu nahi…”, Ristee”, “Zindagi” “Ajab Bachho ki Gajab Kahani” and “Manomanch” were directed by Dr. Murtuza. Partly script writing of “Ajab Bachho ki Gajab Kahani” and “Manomanch” were also done by Dr. Murtuza.
- Invited as Resource person in seminar cum workshop in Education psychology on adjustment (topic – Frustration among the students) at V.T. Choksi Sarvajanik College of Education on 16th February 2012.
- Invited as Resource person in UGC approve special course on psychological assessment and counseling at M.T.B. Arts College on 28th September 2012.
- Invited as expert (speaker) for 5th to 12th class students of L &T for basic skills of learning and difficulties in study on 15th February 2012.
- Invited as visiting lecturer for third year students of Psychology for Practical and applied psychology at P.T. Mahila College (S.D.N.T university) in year 2012, 2013 and 2014.
- Invited as Jury member in youth festival of Gujarat Technological University on 3rd October 2012 and in P.T Mahila inter College competition in year 2011.
- Invited as Resource person for theater students at fourth wall academy in year 2009 & 2010.
- Invited as visiting guest lecturer at B.Ed College (Pandesara) in year 2009.
- Invited as Jury member in Elocution inter school competition at Sanskar Bharti School on 15th August 2014.
- Invited as Jury member in skit inter school South Gujarat circle competition at Kendriya Vidyala (Central school) on 28th September 2014.
- Invited as Jury member in skit inter school competition at M.U.S (Lilaba) School on 6th September 2014.
- Invited as trainer and expert for counselor of “Jivan astha” telephonic helpline managed by Vandrewala foundation (Mumbai) and Suraksa Setu of Surat rural police on 30th September 2014.
- Invited as expert speaker on issue of mental health for children and parents of local community of S.M.C school at no.141 S.M.C school and Anath Ashram on 5th October 2014.
- Invited as Jury member in talent hunt show for INIFD Surat, Fashion Design corporation at Sanjeev Kumar Auditorium on 17th October 2014.
- Invited as Key note speaker in National symposium on “Enhancement of quality in early childhood education” at S.P.T.M college, department of Human development, Surat on 13th & 14th December 2014.
- Invited for conducting one day workshop on “theatre for early childhood as learning process” at teacher training institute, Kalyan (Mah) for pre-school teacher on 8th April 2015.
- Invited as Jury member in interschool monologue competition of Sarvajanik education society on 27th October 2015 at C.C.Shah Sarvajanik High School( experimental school).
- Invited as key note speaker and as chief guest at many educational and social institute for focusing different aspect of learning, education and social relationship issue
N.C.C. (National Cadets corps)
N.C.C. "B" & "C" certificate passed in 1998 and 1999 respectively. Attended various camps i.e. Annual training camp (ATC) at Baroda & Jambusar, Army attachment camp at 8 Grenadiers, Basic leadership camp (BLC) at Navsari, National Integration camp (NIC) at Kerala and All India trekking camp – Kedarnath. Selected as a Best Cadet both in ATC held at Jambusar in 1998 and also in Republic Day Parade at police parade ground, Surat in 1999. During N.C.C. services also performed various duties as Guard Commander for three times and were selected as a camp senior in three camps. Selected as a Guard Commander at the Colonel Commandant rank award ceremony to vice chancellor of South Gujarat University, Surat in May 2000.
Mountaineering & Trekking
Adventure Activities is my field of interest and since May 1993, regularly attended various Himalayas trekking expedition and completed successfully Basic (BMC), Advance (AMC), Method of Instruction (MOI) in Mountaineering and Basic Ski Course (BSC) with ‘A’ Grade. Selected for Liaison Officer training (foreign expedition) course this was conducted by Indian Mountaineering Foundation (IMF). Climbed various peaks in different mountaineering expedition i.e. Mt Koteshwar (19000 ft), Mt Thelu (18500 ft), Mt Shritidhar (18000 ft), Mt Ladakhi (18755 ft) in many part of high altitude range of Himalayas. Also Lead Mountaineering Expedition (Mt. Stok Kangri 22,500ft Ladakh, J & K) it was first mountaineering expedition from Gujarat to J&K and have achieved the Peak on Nov 2003.
Attendance at Conference and Workshop
- Attended workshop on drama and acting at Divya bhaskar conducted by theatre legend Mr. Satyadev Dube, from 4th Oct to 8th Oct 2004
- Attended workshop on ‘Training of Psychological Assessment for Mental Challenge Person’ at Baroda on Aug 2005
- Attended seminar on ‘Dyslexia’ at Maharastra Dyslexia Association on Sept 2005
- Attended seminar on ‘ Recent Advances in Clinical Psychology’ at IHBAS, (Institute of Human Behaviour & Allied Science), Delhi on Jan 2006
- Attended 32nd annual conference of Indian Association of Clinical Psychologist IACP at ICG, Jaipur (Raj) on Feb 2006
- Attended seminar on ‘Learning Disability & Behaviour Problems’ at SPTM college – SNDT university, Surat on May 2006
- Attended workshop on ‘Science of Hypnosis’ at SKA&C college, Ankleshwar on Jan 2007
- Attended seminar on ‘Promotion of Scientific Temper & Rational Behaviour’ at MTB Arts college, Surat on Feb 2008
- Attended & presented a paper on “psychological factors for terrorism” at NCC organized national conference on ‘Terrorism’ at KASC college, Kamrej on May 2008
- Attended 35th annual conference of Indian Association of Clinical Psychologist IACP at ‘Sweekaar academy of rehabilitation sciences, Secunderabad (A.P) on Jan 2009
- Attended workshop on First Aid in Mental Health at M.S. University, Baroda on Feb 2009
- Attended & presented a paper on “Role of Adventure Activities in Personality Development” at NCC organized national conference on ‘The role of NCC in personality development of cadets and women empowerment’ at KASC college, Kamrej on May 2009
- Attended 36th annual conference of Indian Association of Clinical Psychologist IACP at ‘NIMHNS, Bangalore on February 2010
- Attended & presented a paper on “Role of cast and religion on National Integration at NCC organized national conference on ‘National integration’ at KASC college, Kamrej on May 2010
- Attended one-day workshop for hand writing improvement at Psy – lens centre for psychological services on 3rd May 2010.
- Attended 8 ATC (Annual Training Camp) of AAN as chief instructor of adventure and mountaineering training from May 2003 to May 2010.
- Attended Cognitive Behaviour Therapy CBT workshop at NIMHANS Bangalore on 8th and 9th Sept 2010.
- Attended special pre conference workshop on “Conduct disorder in adolescent age” on 20th Jan 2011 at IACP ‘Gujarat Forensic University’ Ahmedabad.
- Attended 37th annual conference of Indian Association of Clinical Psychologist IACP at ‘Gujarat Forensic University’ Gandhinagar on 21st to 23rd January 2011.
- Attended special workshop on Rorschach Exner’s method organized by Psy-Lens at Psychiatry dept. New civil hospital, Surat on 24th to 26th Jan 2011.
- Participate as team leader, light designer and operator in drama “Chutti, raaja Padi, in Ravindra nath Thakor festival at New Delhi on 16th Dec 2011
- Attended national conference on Literature and History in Novel, Drama and cinema at Gujarat Vidhyapith campus Shahdra Ghandinagar from 21st Jan to 23rd Jan 2012.
- Participated in Theater Appreciation Course at National School of Drama (NSD) New Delhi from 28th May to 9th June 2012 with special playwright workshop at NSD. (selected as only one participant from entire west zone)
- Participated in Theatre in Education (T.I.E) & Drama in Education (D.I.E) workshop at V.T.Choksi B.Ed College. Workshop was conducted by T.I.E – NSD experts from 21st Jan to 25th Jan 2013.
- Attended special pre conference workshop on “mindfulness” on 19th February 2013 at IACP ‘All India Institute of Medical Sciences - AIIMS’ New Delhi.
- Attended 39th annual conference of Indian Association of Clinical Psychologist IACP at ‘All India Institute of Medical Sciences - AIIMS’ New Delhi on 18th to 20th February 2013.
- Participated in Theatre in Education (T.I.E) & Drama in Education (D.I.E) workshop on Process Drama at V.T.Choksi B.Ed College. Workshop was conducted by T.I.E – NSD experts Tie Chief Mr Abdul Latif Khatana from 14th feb to 17th feb 2014.
- Attended T.i.E (Theatre in Education) workshop at Sanskar Bharti School, Surat from 18th April to 20th April 2014. Workshop was conduct by international acclaimed faculty in theatre – Mr. Walter Peter.
- Attended Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT) workshop on Depression by Psy - lens centre and G.I.P.S on 27th and 28th September 2014 at S.P.T.M College.
- Attended Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT for OCD) workshop at NIMHANS Bangalore on 23rd & 24th January 2015.
- Participated in Theatre in Education (T.I.E) workshop on Process Drama at V.T.Choksi B.Ed College. Workshop was conducted by T.I.E – Surat chief Dr.Vijay Sevak from 20th feb to 24th feb 2015.
- Attended one day workshop on Cognitive Behavior Therapy (stress management) on 24th Feb 2016 at P.T. Mahila College, Surat.
- Attended full day National seminar on Learning disability and its management at J.H. Ambani School on 20th March 2016.
- Attended five days National workshop on Rorschach test at Mahatma Gandhi Labour Institute, Ahmadabad from 7th to 11th July 2016 by Dr. Dwarka Pershad, renowned clinical psychologist and trainer of projective techniques from Chandigarh was faculty for entire workshop.
- Attended workshop on Cognitive Behaviour Therapy for OCD & related disorders at NIMHANS – Bengaluru on 16th & 17th September 2016.
- Attended International Conference on Contemporary trends in clinical psychology at NIMHANS – Bengaluru from 17th to 19th November 2016.
- Attended and organized Thematic Apperception Test (TAT) and Children’s Apperception Test (CAT) workshop at SPARSH in collaboration with Psy Lens Centre (Mrs. Sudipta Roy. Surat) on 3rd and 4th December 2016.
- Attended International Conference on Cognitive Behaviour Therapy ICCBI India 2017 at AIIMS, New Delhi from 4th to 8th March 2017 along with three International Pre conference workshop CBT for (i) Depression (ii) Psychosis (iii) Anxiety and also chaired (jury) for open poster session at ICCBI India 2017.
- Attended and organized REBT (Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy) Level I & II workshop at SPARSH in collaboration with Rationally Yours (Mr. Rohan Pande - Pune). March 2017.
- Attended International Conference on Creative Movement Therapy at Christ University, Bangalore from 25th to 26th Nov 2017.
- Attended National Workshop on DBT (Dialectical Behavior Therapy) organized by IACP (Indian Association of Clinical Psychologist) and Psy Lens (Surat) at Lords Plaza on 5th and 6th Jan 2018.
- Life time member and trustee of an NGO named AAN (Alumni Association of NCC). AAN provides service of military training and overall personality development training to school student following same curriculum as NCC.
- Life time member of Indian Red Cross Society Dist. Surat branch.
- Life membership of International Council for Complimentary Medicine (Naturopathy)
- Life Associate membership of IACP Indian Association of Clinical Psychologist.
- Life Patron member of Ex student organization of M.T.B. Arts college, Surat. Committee member and joint secretary of organization.
- Life member of Creative Movement Therapy Association of India (CMTAI)